This spring, Insteon’s market-leading home automation systems will be adding support for Apple Watch users. Insteon uses both power lines and radiofrequency communication capabilities inside the home to allow homeowners to automate many common household systems, including:
- Home security systems
- Door and window locking mechanisms
- Light switches
- Thermostat settings
- Wall outlets
- Lamps, appliances, and other plug-in modules
- Motion sensors
- Smoke detectors
- CO2 detectors
- Water leak detectors
- Ceiling fans
- And more
Home automation is about to get even simpler as Insteon adds home control to Apple Watch devices with their newly released app. The new Apple Watch app allows users to quickly and conveniently control electrical outlets, light switches, dimmer switches, ceiling fans, garage doors, and more from the convenience of their smartwatch. Additionally, it will also provide several extra functions, including:
- Live security camera video. Apple Watch users can now remotely monitor their home cameras in real time.
- Motion detector alerts. When something registers on the motion detecting devices in your security system, you’ll be informed immediately.
- Door and window alerts. Find out instantly if someone or something manages to breach a window or door.
- Smoke or CO2 detector alerts. In the case of a fire or a gas leak, you can immediately find out from the convenience of your wrist. If you’re away from the house, you’ll want to know immediately if something catches fire, or if you somehow left the gas on.
- Water leak sensor alerts. Water leaks can be devastating, causing thousands of dollars in property damage. If your pipes spring a leak, you’ll know right away with your Insteon Apple Watch app, so you can quickly call an emergency plumber before it’s too late.
Insteon is the first home automation company to offer a smartwatch app, leading the way into finding new modalities to integrate into the burgeoning Internet of Things. With the Home Control for the Apple Watch, owners of the device can enjoy a new level of convenience. Real-time alerts keep homeowners informed at all times whenever something goes wrong or seems suspicious while they’re away from the house, from smoke detector alerts to a motion sensor being triggered. Since a smartwatch is worn on the wrist, it’s more convenient and noticeable than checking your smartphone app. There are many situations in which you might keep your Apple Watch on, but switch off or silence your smartphone. If you’re at a movie or a theatre production, your smartwatch can quietly inform you of Insteon alerts. Plus, if you forgot to turn out the lights or turn the thermostat down to save energy, it’s now even easier to do so remotely.
Insteon’s new partnership with Apple Watch should benefit both companies, who are working together to increase the convenience, affordability, and widespread use of automation technology. The Internet of Things looks to be one of the next major frontiers in computer and internet technology, and integration with wearable devices is a logical next step in helping people maintain control of their home systems at a distance. With the Insteon Apple Watch App, it’s easier than ever to know exactly what’s going on at your house, no matter how far away you are.
More info: https://www.insteon.com